14 years ago I met Kerry, or as my kids know her, ‘Aunt Krazy’.
Kerry is my dearest friend from college, and avid reader of this blog,
I first met Kerry on the infamous ‘Couches’ on the Theatre floor at the college of Charleston, during my first week of college.
I started mid-year fresh out of high school… just days after my 18th birthday (I graduated from HS a semester early and immediately moved out of state and started school).
At the time, I had never moved before… and I had never been in a situation where I had no friends… I didn’t know anyone. So, since I couldn’t stand my roommate Creep-Monkey, I decided to sit on the ‘Couches’ until I met someone… I sat there for a couple days… until finally someone spoke to me… and someone finally did… well… not so much spoke TO me… or even introduced themselves to me… but more talked ABOUT me… in a very sarcastic snarky way. I looked up… and I dished it back. That someone was Kerry and we have been friends ever since.
You know? Having someone like Kerry on your best friends list is pretty rocking because it’s humbling. Kerry knew me in college… which pretty much means she knew me at my worst… a binge drinking drunken mess of a man. Kerry’s held my head when I was sick… talked me down when my heart was broken… and is hands down the best stage manager I have EVER worked with. Oh, and she’s the best darn airport shuttle drive I’ve ever had (She picked me up when I arrive in Charleston in June and took me for a shrimp and grits breakfast!) Hurray!
Furthermore, Kerry is the kind of friend you can count on. No matter where we are, Aunt Krazy sends birthday presents for the boys… and is there to cheer us on.
And most importantly, she’s there to push me forward. Closer to my dream. I’ve always wanted to write a novel… it’s a personal goal of mine, whether I get published or not doesn’t really matter… I just want to finish a novel… and Kerry is there to push me along… keep me focused… to use this year away from my family productively… what better time to right then now, right? When I’m cooped up in Pakistan with nothing to do?
Yep.
Kerry is the kind of friend that can share YOUR dream as if it is her own. And that is special.
Okay, okay! Alright Kerry! I’ll stop blogging and start writing! Cut me some slack! I’ve only been here for a week and a half!
1 comment:
I have to say I'm a little freaked out as to why the post about me is highlighted in white when no one else's is. And you've left out the part where your absurdly long friends have become friends with each other.
Post a Comment