Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 614: Friday Film Review – “It’s Complicated”

Serena and I saw “It’s Complicated” recently. My father-in-law, who is a fellow Oscar movie addict, gave it a very high recommendation saying it was his favorite film of the year (although it wasn’t nominated for anything). I have to say, it was good. I recommend the movie. I wouldn’t go so far as saying it’s the best movie of the year, but I was quite good… then again, anything Meryl Streep does is good… and come on, Steve Martin is in it too! But, the stand out in the movie is Alec Baldwin. The man truly carried this film. Now, I know a number of my friends don't like Alec... but lets put aside the man's personal life... and look at his professional life. Professionally I am very happy for the man.

Why am I so happy for him? Well, a few months ago I read and interview where Alec was very critical of his career. He was very frustrated and he announced he would retire from acting when 30 Rock ended. He went on to describe his personal dream as an actor, “I’ve always wanted to star in a movie that was either a box office or a critical success… unfortunately, I haven’t seemed to be successful in either of those respects, so it is time to move on.”

Sure, I understand his frustration of being a supporting actor… but being a supporting actor has lead to an Oscar nomination in “The Cooler”… and that’s nothing to sneeze at.

Besides… so far, “It’s Complicated” has earned over $201 Million. Alec, that is already 1 million more than “Hunt for Red October” made… so if you are still hurt about losing the role of Jack Ryan to Harrison Ford, I think you can let it go. You are a critical and box office success now. See what can happen when you stop trying and caring so much?

Beyond Alec, the other stand out performance is from the always entertaining, John Krasinski, from “The Office”. John is destine for a great career… If you think he’s a one trick pony, check out “Away We Go” and you’ll see what he can do with his special brand of understated sarcasm.

Finally, the only disappointment of the movie was the use of Hunter Parrish, as Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin’s son graduating from college. For those of you who follow “Weeds” on Showtime, you’ll best know Hunter as Silas Botwin. I had no idea he was in the movie until his character was introduced and I was super excited by the prospect of Hunter and John working off of each other. This never happened. I think Hunter is an exceptional talent and I was really hoping to see more of him in the picture, but through no fault of his own, the script didn’t really call him to do much except smile and cry on cue a couple of times.Anyway, to close, I highly recommend this movie. It’s just fun.

No comments: