Ladies in gentlemen, the end is in sight! I have mapped out the last installments of ‘The Chair’… and I’ve decided 50 is a nice round number… so now you have something to set your watch on. This is a story that WILL, eventually, END!
So, yeah… the other chair… the Gumtree chair… the ‘like new, never been used, from a smoke-free home Harrods’ glider chair found on Gumtree.com.
Well, despite the personal anguish it gave me when Serena said she no longer wanted the IKEA chair, I couldn’t really argue her logic. The IKEA chair was garbage and Serena found someone selling a ‘like new, never been used Harrods brand’ glider chair, that normally retails for around 350 pounds (over $550.00) for less than the IKEA chair! Which was around $200.00. So, for the sake of the story, let say the Harrods chair was around $150.00, give or take.
In the end I didn’t put up much fight and quickly relented. I called the couple to see if the chair was still available, which it was, and they were very happy to tell me the entire history of the chair. They bought it from Harrods about three years prior and since then it had simply sat in the corner of their living room going unused. “Unused” was a key talking point for the seller. He kept saying that “this is a really nice chair, and despite being three years old it is essentially brand new. We’ve never use it… and it’s from Harrods so you’re getting a great deal. It’s a great chair.”
His other talking point centered around the fact that he and his wife were non-smokers and that the chair was coming from a smoke-free environment. He must have mentioned this three or four times throughout our conversion. Anyway, the guy was very nice and, as I later found out, quite the storyteller. And after successfully having the wool pulled over my eyes I agreed to buy the chair from them.
No comments:
Post a Comment