Now that we have internet I thought I would try and catch you, the reader, up on some funny and interesting stories that have happened since we have arrive. Here we go!
On my second day I ventured out to find a market. Found one… after walking about 6 blocks straight up a 75 degree hill. I walked around with my basket trying not to look stupid or say much. I went to the butcher and pointed at some nice looking steaks and said "Dva" (meaning “two”)… and the butcher looked at me and said, "Dve?" (which also means “two”… but I had used the feminine form of the word… and I guess steak is not considered feminine). So, once having my monosalavic case/gender ending corrected I simply said "Da" (Yes). Little did I know that he needed more information. My "Dve” was referring to the number of steaks I wanted… but he was selling steak by the kilogram. So after some very nice interpretive dance I received my two steaks. So at which point, with my steaks safely laid to rest in my basket, I looked up to say "xvala" (thank you)… and then the butcher cut me off saying, "is there anything else I can help you with today, sir." That's right… not only did he speak perfect English… he called me "sir". The nerve of some people, right?
Later when I got home, Serena informed me that my beef steaks were actually pork. Hmmm… well I swear they were red. Dang it!
-JP
3 comments:
haha! love the news of your serbian adventures! That's fantastic.
not much to report from atlanta. Patrick, Wesley and I went to NC for t-day to stay with our aunt. the jett grandparents were there too. lots of turkey and football...you know the usual. we got back today(sat) to settle in, laundry, etc. in time to return to work on monday.
keep the posts coming! we love keeping up with them.
love, allie and patrick.
Thanks guys!
Actually, steak (snicla) is feminine and you have used a masculine form. And if they were red - they were good pork!
Post a Comment