Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 1052: My Departure is Becoming Real… VERY REAL

Deep breath.
Can it be true?  I really have less than 40 days left in Pakistan?  Less than 40 days separated from my family?  Less than 40 hug-less nights!  Less than 40 days of food that may, or may not, make me sick!  Less than 40!?!?!?!      
Honestly… that just seems crazy.  Unreal!  Simply amazing!
It has certainly been a very long, stressful, and lonely year.  But it’s almost over and I can’t wait! 
You know?  Everyone measures the end of a tour in different ways.  Some people checkout immediately after they receive their next assignment (even if they still have a year at their current post). 
For other folks, their move becomes real when their travel arrangements have been finalized and their pack-out scheduled.
However, I have to say… my departure from Islamabad did not really become real until my next post (Paramaribo, Suriname) assigned us our sponsor, the family who will help us with our adjustment and settle into our new home. 
That’s right!  The Paramaribo welcome wagon is starting to gear up for our arrival and I am super excited.
Leaving a post is always hard.  Even a crazy place like Islamabad… you know how it is, I’ve lived here for a year and in a lot of ways it’s become my normal and I have a lot of friends here.  So yeah, it’s going to be hard to say ‘good-bye’.   And honestly, this transition is doubly hard, because five days after I say ‘good-bye’ to Pakistan, I’ll have to say ‘good-bye’ to Serbia.
I guess with all this saying ‘good-bye’ it just feels good to know that there’s a place ready to say ‘hello’.  And that makes the transition SO much easier!
Plus, our sponsors in Paramaribo are another crazy blogging family of four: http://fergusonfamily2002.blogspot.com/
And that’s just plain cool.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh wow! Congrats! So glad that your family will soon be together again. I hope that it goes well.