REF: Day 643 & Day 660
Well we’re ‘famous’… I guess it was bound to happen someday… and it only took 643 days and Poisonous Vietnamese River Fish to pull SchutzHappens from the murky depths of mediocrity to the link-worthy blog it has become.
That’s right folks we’ve been “linked” for the first time! Which we all know is the first step in taking over the world.
Back on Day 643, first time commenter “A Daring Adventure”, was so grotesquely moved by my story about the poisonous Vietnamese river fish that she not only revealed her “web-stalking” presence, ;) But, two days later she linked my post in her weekly “State Department Blog Round-Up”… which I didn’t know existed. You learn something every day.
Anyway, for months Serena and I have toyed with the idea of making our blog private... but you know? I’m starting to lean towards keeping it public again. The life of an expat is all about community and by making our experiences private seems to limit that idea of ‘community’. After all, why should I deprive anyone my endless meanderings on Conan O’Brien, the Oscars, and Child Birth? It seems darn right Un-American! And seriously folks… who can forget Hats of Meat at www.hatsofmeat.com. Schutz Happens every day and it’s enriching the lives of… ummm… hmmm… that’s a good question… I don’t know whose lives are being touched with this little obsession of mine… which bring me to another point:
For two years I’ve been writing this blog… and for the better part of this time we’ve had five followers. Five incredibly loyal followers. However, from time to time we’ll have a random commenter like Peegee and A Darning Adventure. So, I know we have folks following this blog who haven’t formally established themselves as “followers”… and of course, I get curious, so I finally embedded a hit counter on May 7th… and well… the results were a bit surprising. In the first six days, SchutzHappens received 45 unique visitors and 78 page loads. This is way more than I was expecting. Crazy.
I wonder what a month will look like.
BTW: The hit counter works off of a cookie. If you don’t have a SchutzHappen’s cookie you’re given new comer status… if you have a SchutzHappen’s cookie you’re given returning user status… so please! Have a cookie!
4 comments:
You know you're also a part of the FSOT forums blogregator... there are more of us reading you than you might think: http://www.fsotforums.net/ForeignServiceBlogregator/
Thanks for the cookie! It was... tasty?
And dude... when one sticks a poisonous Vietnamese river fish up on one's blog, and then one talks about how he or she may or may not have ingested it, one is pretty much a shoo-in for being on the RoundUp. :)
And yes, you're on the Blogregator, which means that there are untold many people reading you that aren't even reflected on your hit counter, since your blog excerpts are re-posted on the Blogregator's page. That's where I found you in the first place!
I've been reading your blog for quite a while ever since I discovered Digger's lists of FS blogs. Maybe a year or so?
Keep up the good work!
Kristina
I'm probably really messing up your statistics because I read without being logged in (just log in if I comment) and Firefox erases ALL cookies each time I close it so it'll make me new each time unless I log in... hahaha (sorry but I enjoy messing with web statistics and not just at your blog but anywhere)
Post a Comment