Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 838: Diwali, The Hindi Festival of Lights

I spend a lot of time focusing on bizarre and strange days of observation that we could do without… and that’s all fun and good, however, there are a lot of OTHER holidays of great significance to people all over the world that I’ve been ignoring.  


For the most part American’s have no idea what a lot of these other religious and cultural holidays are really about… and back when I took a comparative religion class in college, I discovered a lot of curious similarities between my Catholic/Christian upbringing and cultures that seemed so different on the surface.  


So, periodically, I’m going to profile a religious and/or cultural day of significance… and don’t focus so much on the practice of the holidays… because culturally, the practice is going to look and feel very different.  I want you to focus on the similarities of the themes we are celebrating… because half a world away might not be a different as you think.


 

1 comment:

Nitika said...

Hi,
Nice you mentioned the festival in your blog. Your President is also celebrating it with us here in India.

A very Happy Diwali to you and your family :)

Cheers,
Nitika