Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 950: Those Three OTHER Best Picture Categories


Best Animated Feature


Best Foreign Language Film


Best Documentary Film

So far, I’ve seen three of the five films nominated in this category.  My favorite is ‘Exit through the Gift Shop’ but I don’t think it will win.  I also found ‘Gas Land’ to be fascinating… however, again, I don’t think it’s going to win.

My pick is ‘Restrepo’.  The film follows the deployment of the 2nd Platoon of Battle Company on a 15 month deployment in the Korengal Valley of northeast Afghanistan. It chronicles the lives of the men from their deployment to the time of their return back home and shot by two journalists who embedded themselves with the platoon while writing a series of articles for Vanity Fair. 

What I really love about this heartbreaking film is the care and restraint put into making it.  Although the documenters are obviously in harm’s way… and essentially serving side by side with our soldiers, they resist the temptation of making the story about themselves, which, thanks to Michael Moore, seems to be the current documentary film fade.  The story is all about the young men… their service… and their VERY raw emotions.


No comments: