Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 946: The Blurred Line of Original vs. Adapted Screenplay

These used to be my favorite two categories.  Great writing is the foundation of a great movie… and it’s important to, not only honor these writers, but to also differentiate their skills: Writing an Original Screenplay is very different than writing an Adaptation.
However, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten more crotchety.  And regarding these two categories I have a major problem with the Academy’s loosy-goosy definition of an ‘Original’ Screenplay.
Adapted Screenplay


Now, before I continue, ‘Adapted’ Screenplays are easy to define:  a screenplay adapted from another source (usually a novel, play, short story, or TV show but also sometimes another film).  Plus, all sequels are automatically considered adaptations by this standard (since the sequel must be based on the original story).
How simple is that!  ‘Adapted’ Screenplays are pretty cut and dry… just look at the nominations this year: 
1)  127 Hours (Non-Fiction Biography)
2)  The Social Network (Non-Fiction Biography) – MY PICK TO WIN
3)  Toy Story 3 (Sequel)
4)  True Grit (Novel)
5)  Winter’s Bone (Novel)


Original Screenplay


Now, as I begin to share my opinions on ‘Original’ Screenplays, I want you to hold onto the idea of a ‘Biography’… because this is where I have a problem and it all started when I questioned the Original Screenplay nomination for ‘Shine’ back in 1996.  
Now, I LOVE this movie, however, ‘Shine’ claims to be BASED ON the REAL LIFE of David Helfgott.   Follow where I’m going?  Let me break it down for you.  By saying your script is ‘BASED ON’ you are actually implying that you idea isn’t 100% original… and by claiming you based this, not so original, idea on a ‘REAL LIFE’ you have pretty much told me that you idea is 0% original… thus, NOT an ‘Original’ Screenplay. 
My point?  Simple: Real people and true stories are SOURCES regardless of whether or not the stories are documented in a book prior to becoming a movie.  And the process of adapting a real life to the big screen has more in common with adapting a book than it does creating something truly original. 
Here are some other movies that claim to be based on true stories that were nominated for Best ‘Original’ Screenplay:  Lorenzo’s Oil (1992), Bugsy (1991), Silkwood (1983), Reds (1981), Chariots of Fire (1981), Melvin and Howard (1980), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), Erin Brockovich (2000), In America (2003), The Aviator (2004), Hotel Rwanda (2004), Good Night and Good Luck (2005), Milk (2008)… and of course… there are others.
In addition, ‘Letters From Iwa Jima’ was nominated for Best Original Screenplay in 2006 for a film that claims to be based on the book ‘Picture Letters from the Commander in Chief’ written by the Japanese General Ken Watanabe portrayed in the film… how did this happen?
Interestingly enough, also in 2006, ‘The Queen’ was nominated in the same category and its inclusion helps me articulation my feelings about Original Screenplays a little better… because I consider ‘The Queen’ to be an Original Screenplay.  Why?  Well… because the movie doesn’t claim to be a true story.  It claims to be historical fiction.  Although historical fiction may start from an adapted foundation… the process of writing it more resembles that of writing an original work.
Furthermore, how is the process of writing historical fiction any different than amazingly original films like ‘Adaptation’ and ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou?’ which were relegated to the Adapted Screenplay category just because they jumped from a source, merely as a starting point.  And riddle me this, were ‘Adaptation’ and ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou?’ any more or less original than ‘Sleepless in Seattle’, which blatantly sourced ‘An Affair to Remember’ while also being considered ‘Original’ by the academy?  Probably not… but, whatever the case, one thing is for sure: these movies are certainly more original that a true story based on a real life or event. 
And here lies the blur that is ‘Original’ and ‘Adapted’.  Why do I care so much?  I don’t know.  The lack of a real hobby?  Or the fact that I haven’t seen my family is many moons?  Who knows?
**********
As for this year, two movies are nominated in this category don’t fit my ‘Original’ litmus test: The Fighter and The King’s Speech.
Frankly, I can’t for the life of me figure out why The Fighter is in the ‘Original’ category when the REAL HBO documentary and REAL fight footage were such a key research aspect for the film (let alone the fact it’s based on REAL people).
And, The King’s Speech, on the other hand, COULD be considered ‘historical fiction’… however, The King’s Speech doesn’t make the same claims as ‘The Queen’… it doesn’t present itself as fiction, it presents itself as fact.
So, all that said; I recognize only three of the five nominated movies as true originals:
1) Another Year
2) Inception – MY PICK TO WIN
3) The Kids Are Alright



No comments: