Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 621: Friday Film Review – Crazy Heart

Honestly, there isn’t much I can say about Crazy Heart… except that it was my favorite movie of the year.

I know I’ve given a lot of high praise this Oscar season, so don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that “The Hurt Locker” didn’t deserve Best Picture, it certainly did, it was a better all around film… I’m just saying that “Crazy Heart” is exactly the kind of movie I like. Scratch that… exactly the kind of movie I love.

The only real travesty is the fact it wasn’t at least nominated for best picture. Especially when films like “The Blind Side,” “Up in the Air,” and especially, “The Serious Man” made it into the competition. There should have been a spot for “Crazy Heart”.

Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal were simply amazing. And well deserving of all the praise they have received. And folks, remember when I said Vera Farmiga would have won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress is Mo’Nique hadn’t made “Precious” this year? Well, I spoke way too soon. Maggie blew my socks off. Mo’Nique still deserved the Supporting Actress award, BUT, that said, Maggie deserved the Leading Actress Award.

I’m confused as to why Maggie’s character is considered a supporting player. Her screen time alone should have qualified her… but far beyond that, her relevance to the overall story should have graduated the role to leading. Maggie’s LEADING Actress role in Crazy Heart was amazing. And if Crazy Heart’s producers had submitted her in the leading category, she could have taken down Sandra.

Producers play weird games when they submit actors for Oscars. Remember Timothy Hutton? He was the leading actor in “Ordinary People” who won Best Supporting Actor, not Leading Actor. At 18 years old, Ordinary People’s producers didn’t think he would be taken seriously during awards season as a Leading actor… so they demoted him to Supporting… and he won awards. While in the same movie, Mary Tyler Moore was nominated for Leading Actress for playing a supporting role. You get the idea.

Anyway… I don’t mean to get side tracked on Oscar politics.

Go see Crazy Heart! You won’t regret it. The film has a really great indie feel without being pretentious, gimmicky, falsely emotional, or overly dark… it’s a wonderfully beautiful film about redemption. And it’s just simple. Unlike my blog postings… oh how I wish I could post like “Crazy Heart”.

No comments: