Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 645: London – Poor Hygiene is Bad for Business

Strange observations seemed to be the cornerstone of my time in London. But this one really tickled me. It was an ad campaign encouraging business owners to adhere to national hygiene regulations. The campaign was titled “Good Business”.

Now, when I first saw this poster I thought the ad campaign was incredibly bold… at least from an American perspective. I repeatedly saw the same poster featuring the dim interior of an Indian Restaurant and the restaurants bewildered looking manager. The caption? “Poor Hygiene is Bad for Business.” Follow the link below to see it for yourself.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/posterindianresturant.pdf

Could you imagine this kind of awareness campaign going on in the United States? What do you think the Indian-American population would do in the States? Crazy.

I was so taken back by the poster that I jotted down the website to take a closer look. As it turns out, this poster was one of five in circulation. Also included were Gastro Bars, Chinese restaurants, Sandwich bars, and Fish and Chips shops. See below:

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/postergastro.pdf

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/posterchineserestaurant.pdf

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/postersandwichbar.pdf

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/posterchipshop.pdf

So, in the end, I guess there was a certain amount of diversity in the campaign, however, I only noticed the Indian poster in my neighborhood.

Hmmm… what five types of restaurants would you opt to throw under the bus? That’s my question of the day!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Sharky's. I know most people loved it but there's something wrong when you order a calzone and the cheese isn't melted. Mozzarella has an incredibly low melting point. So maybe pizza places and I'd say mexican but you already have a blog about that. Subway?