Okay, so if you think I throw down random pop culture references on SchutzHappens, you sure meet me in person. My brain is like a pop culture greeting card… always armed at the ready with complete randomness, that somehow relates to the situation… most of the time.
Well, recently I was in a situation where throwing down some of the lyrics to the Sugarhill Gang’s classic ‘Rappers Delight’ was appropriate. And the Ambassador looked at me and said, “Hey, that’s pretty catchy, what’s that from?”
(Okay… this conversation wasn’t really with the Ambassador, but it makes the story so much better, so go with me here.)
Me: “What do you mean, Sir? That’s ‘Rappers Delight’.”
Ambo: “It’s catchy, is that a new song?”
Me: “New? No Sir, it’s from the 70s. It’s by the ‘Sugarhill Gang’… Seriously? You’ve never heard ‘Rappers Delight’?
Ambo: “No, are they good?”
Me: “Yeah, they’re the first hip-hop group to ever perform on American Bandstand.”
Ambo: “Wait… who?”
Me: “The Sugarhill Gang.”
Ambo: “Hip-hop group? Are you sure? I always thought Run-DMC was the first hip-hop act to perform on American Bandstand.”
Me: “No sir, it was the Sugarhill Gang.”
Ambo: “I must hear this song!”
Me: “I’m sure it’s on YouTube, would you like me to load it up?”
Ambo: “Yes, I would!”
I couldn’t believe it… I thought everyone had heard of Rappers Delight… and there I was with the Ambassador and all of his Front Office staff boogying down to the funky sounds of the Sugarhill Gang.
You should have been there… it was off the hook. (And completely untrue... I’m pretty sure I had this conversation with an assistant regional security officer without any dancing involved)
However… The Ambo has now decided to have a lycra jumpsuit day, embassy wide… which is awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment