Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 1035: Hot Weather Training

So… while I think the only drawback to going to Suriname is the horrible internet speeds… Serena is pretty apprehensive about the heat.  Which I find kind of funny since she lived in Mombasa, on the coast of Kenya, for two and a half year… but I’m pretty sure she’s having horrific frizzy hair flashbacks.
Anyway, it’s pretty much 90 degrees Fahrenheit year around in Surianme… with 100% humidity.  So yeah… it’s going to be hot… and since spring is now coming to a close, the Schutz family has begun the longest summer of our lives… it should last until late 2014.
Honestly, though.  I’m looking forward to cooling off.  It’s only mid-May, but the daily highs in Islamabad are consistently hitting over 105 degrees Fahrenheit, (Tomorrow’s expected high is 108 degrees!)
And when you compare that to Suriname’s current highs, which are dancing around the high 80s to low 90s… Suriname is sounding pretty awesome right about now. 
Now, listen.  When you’re talking about temperate like 90 and 108, it’s pretty easy to dismiss it by saying, “Hot is hot,” but an 18 to 20 degree difference, like in the case of Islamabad and Suriname, is pretty darn significant.  Just imagine we’re talking about 50 vs. 70 degrees and you’ll see what I’m talking about.  That’s the difference between jackets and t-shirts.  And in the case of Islamabad and Suriname, it’s the difference between nudist colony and death by heat stroke. 
It’s HOT!  Dang hot!

No comments: