Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 1034: Help with Satellite Internet... in Suriname


I am in desperate need of help and guidance.

There is no such thing as a perfect location and I have recently discovered a significant drawback for my next assignment in Paramaribo, Suriname: Internet is slow AND cost prohibitive.

The best (Platinum) DSL internet package in Suriname runs at a speed of .5 Mbsp, which is pretty much dial-up and folks already there say it’s impossible to upload pictures… So, SchutzHappens is pretty much going to be dead in the water at these speeds.

Plus, this extremely slow speed comes at a price: $150 per month!!!!!

Yeah, NO THANK YOU!

So!  I’ve started researching alternatives in the form of Satellite Internet providers (HughsNet, WildBlue, Skyway, and Starband).

Now, the thing to keep in mind is that DishNetwork and DirectTV are both available in Suriname, so, in theory, I should also be able to use one of these Satellite Internet providers, especially Skyway or Starband because they use the EchoStar Satellites (Dish Network) to deliver their service.

Anyway, I would love to speak to someone who has had experience using one of these providers in the Caribbean, Central American, or Northern South America… or any someone who has advice on an alternative I haven’t looked into yet.

Please email me at SchutzHappens@gmail.com

THANKS!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Even at those speeds blogging is possible but requires patience and creativity. I am in Malawi where the internet speed is sloooow! But we still manage to blog and even download movies and podcasts from itunes. Of course it can take up to 3 days to download one movie. For pictures I have had to reduce the size of the image quite a lot, but that is only apparent if you click on the picture to enlarge it, and I would set my blog post with pics to upload at night, head to bed and hope for the best. Most of the time it works fine. Oh and by the way $150 sounds pretty reasonable to me since we pay well over $ 200 for internet too slow to skype. Luckily the IMO has been pretty aggressive about investigating new options and we now have a faster internet option although it still has a lot of "kinks" to work out, at least I can skype.