Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 818: Fall in Pakistan

It’s still very hot over here.  Fall is actually my favorite season… and it’s not just because the new television season starts… I like the change in weather too.  I’ve been curious about fall though, so I decided to ask one of the local Pakistani employees I’ve become friendly with.


Me: “Hey, we’re halfway into October, do you guys have fall around here?”


Todd: “Fall sir?  Like the season?”


Me: “Yes, fall.”


Todd: “It is fall now, sir.  It is cooler out is it not.”


Me: “Yes, I guess it’s cooler in the evening, but it’s not cool enough to break out my super awesome Member’s Only jacket.”


Todd: “Oh, yes sir, it will get cooler… we have fall sir, but it will come in about a month.”


Me: “In a month?”


Todd: “Yes, sir.  In a month it will be very cool and the leaves will change colors.”


Me: “Really?  That’s great news Todd.”


Todd: “Mr. JP, you like the fall?  


Me: “Yes, it’s my favorite season.”


Todd: “It is?  You like it when the leave change colors and fall of the tree leaving them naked?”


Me: “Wow, Todd.  You make fall sound better and better all the time.”


Lol.  To Todd’s credit, he’s a sharp cookie and realized what he said immediately.  I had him in stitches with my last line.  You know?  Humor is not one of those things that translate well, even when both parties are native English speakers.  Finally getting a legitimate laugh out of one of our local colleagues… priceless.


Well, fall is upon us!  I hope!

No comments: