Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 820: The Return of Montevideo?

Continuing from yesterday’s blog entry, out of the six posts to contact me in the last week, the most interesting was the email I received from Montevideo yesterday.


Originally, Montevideo was my #1 choice, however, by the time I had a phone interview with the Deputy Chief of Mission (about a week before Paramaribo worked out) it had dropped to #3 or #4.  The interview went great, the DCM was very nice, and although she made it clear that I was a solid candidate, she was afraid that the timing of my departure from Pakistan hindered my chances, especially since I didn’t already speak Spanish.  If they went with me, the combination of my Pakistan departure date, home leave, and language training would have left the position in Montevideo vacant for six to eight months.  This was a perfectly understandable reason to pass on The Schutz.  So, I forgot about Montevideo… until yesterday, when I received this:


“Mr. Schutz, this is to inform you that your Montevideo bid is still under serious consideration.  With that in mind, we would like to know how we rate with you.  That is, would you be able to rank Montevideo among your bids for us?  Thanks.”


WOW!  Right?  I was floored.  I was pretty much told they couldn’t offer me the job, but now this.  Either they were having a hard time filling the position or they liked what they got back from my 360 review (reference check).  


So, just as I do for all the posts who have reached out to me, I always write back to say ‘thank you:


“Thank you for the email.  Once upon a time Montevideo had been my number one, but when I interviewed for the position with the DCM, it sounded like my timing and lack of language were insurmountable obstacles.  In the end, I accepted an early handshake to Paramaribo.”


Then I got this:


“Hi John:  Thanks for your message.  When you get a little more time in the FS you will see that very few administrative obstacles are insurmountable.  I’m delighted that you’ve found a nice situation for yourself.   Good luck.”


Lol!  No truer words have been spoken.  If only Montevideo knew what I did to get Paramaribo!  

1 comment:

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

this "job searching" is an interesting process!