Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 744: The Chair, Part 3 – The Wedding

Yes, when it came to setting up and moving chairs I had gotten pretty darn cocky.  How cocky?


Well, I made the decision to set-up the chairs for my own wedding.  


FAIL!


Serena and I had not only decided to exchange our vows at my parent’s house, we decided have the ceremony on the dock, with the water and the setting sun make the most picturesque back drop.  On paper it was perfect.  We would stand on the dock, together, dressed in white… with all of our guests gazing upon the beautiful scene from shore.  


Originally, the scene in our heads didn’t involve chairs… no, we envisioned everyone standing at the water’s edge.  That was until someone… I can’t remember who… probably a chair double agent, planted a seed… “The ceremony will be too long to expect your guests to stand, they should sit.”  


Me: “The ceremony will only be ten minutes.” 


Them: “That’s a long time.”  


Me: “What about a PA system?  I doubt people will hear the ceremony from shore”


Them: “No, you don’t need a PA system, if people can sit down they won’t care if they can hear or not.”


Blast you chairs!


The search was on.  We needed chairs.  We eventual found a church, thirty minutes away from my parents lake house, who was willing to lend us as many metal folding chairs as we wanted.  So, on the day of my wedding, with my brother and Costello at my side, we drove to the church and loaded the chairs… if my memory severs me correctly, it took us two or three trips to get all the chairs to the house.  However, getting the chairs to the house was only half the job… we also needed to get them to the lake.


Now, I’m not sure what the exact distance from the house to the lake is… but I know this… cars can’t fit down our winding dirt lake path… and hand carrying those metal chairs to the water felt like a half mile… each trip.  Did I mention this was a July wedding?  The sun took no mercy on us that day.


Finally, the chairs were set… the guests began to arrive… I cleaned up and changed clothes… and then… it started to rain.


And rain.


And rain.


Now, a good friend of mine is of Indian decent (the real kind of Indian, like from the county, not the ‘Columbus was lost’ kind of Indian) and she told me that in her culture, rain on a special occasion, like a wedding was considered good luck.  I can’t help but believe this… I am very lucky and have a beautiful family.  


However, I can’t help but think those chairs were behind the rain.  Why do I think that?  Because the next day, the day after I got married, those chairs openly laughed at me as I hand carried them back up the path to the house… they laughed at me as I loaded them back into the car… and they laughed at me as I returned them to the church.


Not one of those chairs had been used and I had invented over eight hours of my life moving them.

No comments: