Don’t worry folks, there are only two parts to this sub-story… there is no telling how many parts there will end up being in the main story of “The Chair”… but for the ‘Go Ask Alice’ set there will be only two parts… I promise.
So, where was I?
Okay, when our Drama teacher told us it was time to clean-up and finish our build we proposed an alternative:
To transport everything we needed to build the set from the school to Costello’s driveway, which was only about a mile down the road.
Our drama teacher thought this was a good idea and agreed...
Let me repeat: ‘Our drama teacher thought this was a good idea and agreed.’
Folks. About eight years after this incident, I actually became a High School Drama Teacher. THIS WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA! The liability issues of a maneuver like this insane!
How so? Well, let’s break this down and discuss what she really agreed to.
1. She agreed to let students remove school property from the school grounds UNSUPERVISED. Building a set on the weekend at someone house is not abnormal… BUT, not having a teacher or a booster club member there to supervise IS abnormal.
2. This property didn’t simply include lumber, hammer and nails… No! It included POWER TOOLS (screw guns, circular saws, and even a TABLE SAW!) Seriously… do you really think sending a table saw, owned by the school, home with a bunch of teenage boys is a good idea?
3. She helped us load the trucks!
Seriously, folks, I’m dumbfounded by the actions my teacher took… once I became a teacher I would look back on this and cringe.
What the heck was she thinking… oh yeah… half price margaritas at ‘On the Board’… it was a weekend lunch special.
Okay… I lied… it’s a three part story.
1 comment:
Oh yes, a teacher encouraging and approving of students taking school property off-site to then go and use power tools and said school property for the purpose of completing a school project without supervision. Sounds like a law school exam question. Spot the issues - go!
Post a Comment