As Costello and I whizzed through the tunnels beneath the streets of London, I couldn’t help but think about the series of events that had led me to this moment… my years of servitude to chairs had ultimately led to this, the showdown.
I had been setting up chairs for half of my life… not a statistic I am particularly proud of; however, it is the truth. In the early years, when my older brother was in school, I used to help set-up chairs for band concerts… a task I continued to perform throughout my own dabbling in band and then theatre.
Eventually, I found myself coordinating events for Cobb County’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs. And in the world of grassroots governmental event planning, even the coordinators had to get their hands dirty in order to get the job done. Getting up at crack of dawn to set-up 500+ chairs only to turn around and take them down again as the sun began to set was a normal weekend for me. I was good at it… so good in fact that I got cocky… too cocky.
No comments:
Post a Comment